Why Other Tales?
Traditional Ballads behave a bit like geocaching sites; it seems that everyone that comes along alters the content a little, swapping out a verse here for one from somewhere else. Some of the tales below are ones from the same region as Tam Lin and often share verses with it, others may be from different cultures, but share themes and tropes.
This area is intended to provide a storytelling context to the ballad, so that users may examine the relationship between Tam Lin and related stories in a way that may illustrate aspects of the ballad, either by similarity or contrast.
- Alice Brand - Alice Brand and her lover must survive in the Elf woods after her brother is slain.
- Allison Gross - a man is turned into a worm after refusing a witch and must seek help from the Fairie Queen.
- Beauty and the Beast - a woman must live with a Monster after her father steals a rose from a garden.
- The Bonny Hind - a young woman encounters a young man in the woods and it does not go well.
- The Broomfield Wager - a woman and a man bet that she cannot visit him in the woods and return a maiden.
- Burd Ellen and Tamlane - Burd Ellen argues with her baby's father, Tamlane.
- Childe Rowland - a young man must rescue his sister from the Fairie King.
- Cupid and Psyche - a young woman is carried off to be the wife of the God of Love.
- The Faerie Oak of Corriewater - a girl tries to save her brother from becoming a servant of the Fairy Queen.
- Fundevogel - a brother and sister must escape danger through a series of transformations.
- Kemp Owyne - a woman is transformed into a dragon and can only be rescued with kisses.
- The King's Daughter Jane - The King's Daughter travels to the forbidden forest and is confronted by a young man.
- The Knight and the Shepherd's Daughter - a young woman meets a man in the woods and has to go through challenges to get her husband.
- Lady Isabel and the Elf-Knight - a young woman runs off with an Elf-Knight and ends up in a bit of danger.
- The Laily Worm and the Machrel of the Sea - a young man is transformed into a dragon and his sister into a fish, and must be rescued by father.
- Tam o' the Linn - a young man falls into a variety of disasters
- The Quiet Mists of Morning - a young woman meets a strange lover on a spring morning.
- Thomas the Rhymer - a young man meets the Queen of the Fairies and travels with her.
- The Wee Wee Man - a young woman meets a small man of great strength.